Monday, June 21, 2010

Animoto



Animoto is another one of my favorite programs to use. It is online, and free if you sign up for an educator account. The educator account allows you to create longer movies, otherwise you are limited to 30 second movies.

It is a great way to put a slide show of images and text together...with music. You can remix the images as many times as you like until you find what you are looking for. I find it very user friendly and easy to share with others.

Just a note, if you want to add text, it has to be on a slide without an image. Up until now, I have not been able to find a way to add text to an image. I think some people prefer Movie Maker because you can add test to images. I prefer Animoto because it shuffles the images in several different ways and creates something great.

I find when I first start using these programs, it is good just to play around and experiment with what you can do.

I have created several Animoto videos/slide shows and have been happy each time.

Think how great it would be if you made one with your students. Maybe take pictures throughout the year and put them all together in Animoto, burn a DVD and give to each student as a year end gift....just a thought :)

6 comments:

  1. I will check that out. I just put a DVD together for a year end gift for my students and families. I used imovie off of my mac and I LOVE that program. Also very user friendly, and you can add text to images as well as move images. I would love to post my video on my blog but with privacy regulations I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to check it out too -- have seen references to Animoto, but I've never taken the time to look at it. For quick treatments, this looks great. Of course, there are other editors that are more full-featured and allow you to control more things, but I often find that I'm looking for the smallest, easiest solution for any particular need I might have. Sometimes the big programs are just more than I need.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Terri-Lynn, from what I hear, imovie is great!!! I am still a PC user :( so I do not have the opportunity to use imovie, but I do know it is an amzing program. Animoto is good for a change, and for us PC users :)
    I love that you did that for your students, such a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Rick, Animoto is a fun, quick and easy program to use. Like I said, it has some limitations, but good for the most part. Depends on what end product you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip - sounds like what I could use for my Grade 9 homeroom! Thanks for all of your technical advice and applications. Have a good summer.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete