Thursday, June 3, 2010

Is your library engaging?

So I have been part of a library committee recently. Our focus is to bring the current library into the 21st century!! Now, I never really gave much thought to the library and the importance, if any, of it being current. To be honest, as long as it had the resources I was looking for, I was happy.

Now after much reading, a bit or research and some library visits, I now understand. After seeing some libraries that are moving into the current times and some that want to change for the better, I feel I have been missing out. I love to read and truly value a library that has lots of great materials. I just never stopped to think of the layout, the colors, student work, books, audio books, iPods, e-readers and e-books….just to mention a bit. It is amazing how much a library can offer.

There is much to be said about a library, or as some now say “learning commons.” I guess some libraries are moving towards being learning commons and starting to offer a variety of services. I can honestly say; I have been learning lots.

Think about the struggling readers, do they want to read? In most cases, the answer is no. Now, they don’t want to read because they are struggling. What if they could get a new iPod with some audio books? How cool would they look listening to an iPod? That is what most students want….to fit in. Now, picture the student with a physical copy of the book, listening to the audio copy from the iPod, following along. Are we engaging a struggling or reluctant reader? I would have to say it’s a start.

Now, think about the students who just aren’t interested in reading. What if the school library had e-readers and e-books? Wouldn’t it be fun to play with the new technology? Would it also be a start to introduce a new way of reading? Are we moving to the 21st century?
Leather coaches, bright overstuffed pillows, art work, painted chairs (by the students), open spaces, e-books, e-readers, iPods, Smartboard, newspapers, “pub” style tables and chairs, computer stations, and much more. Does it sound like an environment that you would like to be in? Relax? READ? Learn? Study? Is this type of environment better than the old library with rows of books, no open space, all one color, not very welcoming?

When I think 21st century, I don’t just think about how we learn or the resources and technology we use to learn. I think about the learning environment and what it looks like. I think the updated library plays a huge part in moving towards 21st century learning.

Any thoughts or comments? Is it just me? Was I the only one who never really stopped to think about the library getting an upgrade?

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree, and I'd go so far as to suggest that if libraries can't find ways to change their notion of services, their very existence could be threatened. And that would be a disaster of epic proportions, in my opinion, because libraries -- free and public -- are one of the most important ideas ever introduced to encourage an educated populace.

    And one humble idea of how libraries might re-think themselves? What if they saw themselves as loci for the creation of personal learning environments? What if it was their mission to help people connect to their own learning -- in their own ways? This isn't that big of a shift, really. Good librarians have been making that happen for a long time. But the institutions need to open up to a lot more ways of connecting with people, ideas, networks -- and not just repositories in order to move forward on this notion.

    There, I said it. Was that my out-loud voice? :-) By the way, the next time you're in town, remind me to take you by our University Learning Commons. It's very cool, and incorporates some design features that make sense for supporting newer approaches to learning.

    ReplyDelete