Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gagne's Nine Events of Instruction

According to Robert Gagne, there are nine events that activate processes needed for effective learning. Gagne believes all lessons should include this sequence of events:
1.  Gain attention
2.  Inform learner of objectives
3.  Stimulate recall of prior learning
4.  Present stimulus material
5.  Provide learner guidance
6.  Elicit performance
7.  Provide feedback
8.  Assess performance
9.  Enhance retention and transfer


Okay, was I the only one who was not framiliar with this?  Maybe this never made it to my long term memory or I am having trouble retrieving the information.  Anyhow, I really thought this was something neat.  Take a look at this video, it helps in explaining Gagne's Nine Events of Instruction.
Gagne's Nine Events of Instruction


Now in this video one of my favorite parts was when it asked you to remember your best learning experience.  I really want to know how many people recall a "sit and get" lesson, or some boring lecture, or even reading a "manual." Most people recall something that was exciting, different, hands on, something they could realte to and maybe a "real life"experience. 
I think Gagne was ahead of his time :)

3 comments:

  1. Unfortuneately our most memorable learning experiences are often times when we felt stupid or embarrassed about something...although ultimately you learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of Bob Gagne too, and he was one of the most influential educational technology scholars who ever lived.

    In fact, I normally include him in the content of our course, but he didn't make the cut when I abbreviated the course for this summer's offering. If you're interested, here's a little video I did on him and his work: http://edxserveg5.usask.ca/rick/802media/vid12_gagne.mov

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, I will for sure watch the video!! I think he was much ahead of his time! Even if you don't follow all 9 events, or even change them a bit, they are a great outline or suggestion for teaching.
    I did sneak a bit into chapter 10 :)

    ReplyDelete