Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fun Theory

After talking about engagement, I had to include the link for this video, the piano staircase (youtube).  I feel it is the perfect example of what can happen when people are having fun. 

The most memorable learning experiences, for me, are when you are engaged, having fun, really enjoying what it is you are learning. 

When I think back about my students and when they seemed truly engaged, it was when they were having fun while learning. 

I hope you enjoy this video, I know I did :)  I really wish I could have tried this staircase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw

2 comments:

  1. I love the notion of "fun theory." Reminds me of the scene in "Big". It's also interesting to see how the only intervention was to change the design of the environment (okay, dramatically) and watch what people did with it. Design is really difficult, especially design that looks so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should bring that up :) I was talking to a fellow teacher yesterday about the idea of design and how hard it can be. We were talking about changes in the classroom and school system...are they always necessary? Could we change the design of what school is? What the classroom looks like? What types of projects we could do? Who would help "design" these changes? If we designed a classroom according to what our students wanted and needed, what would that look like?

    ReplyDelete