Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Vision of K-12 Student Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-ZVCjfWf8

I will start to include books and articles I am reading on this topic, but I did have to share one more video (for now).  When I think of 21st Century Learning, this video came to mind.  I have always considered myself to be a really good teacher.  I have tried project based learning, hands on experiments, tried to get my students to become problem solvers, even used technology.....so I thought.

Using the computer lab at least a few times a week, I figured I was way ahead of my time.  I then got a Smartboard, look at me now....Mrs. Technology.

I then accepted this AISI position, wow!!  My head still spins most days with the information I am learning.  I look at the signs the students are holding up in the video, they are true.  Most teachers haven't tried blogging, or podcasts, or wikis, or even e-mail.  I know in my position I have been lucky enough to learn hands on all of these exciting tools.  In my previous positions, I am not sure I would have had the opportunity or the time to venture out and learn any of these. 

I can't be critical to teachers who have not had the opportunity or support to venture out and try these new and exciting ways to communicate and share.  I know that if it wasn't for my current position, I would still be taking baby steps.  How can we encourage more teachers to try new things?  Is change that difficult? 

How do teachers keep up with the needs and wants of their students?  In the video, it is evident that students want to share and learn in more than one way.  They want to use technology, they want to be engaged.  As educators, is it our obligation to keep up with the changing needs of our students?  Is it even possible to keep up with all these changes?

No comments:

Post a Comment