Thursday, May 6, 2010

Student engagement....according to me.

The whole reason I decided to blog was really to learn more about blogging.  Also, because I have chosen to blog on  how to engage the 21st century learner, I will be killing two birds with one stone, sorta speak.

Now, I am going to start by giving my own definition or explanation of what I think student engagement is, what 21st century learning is, and how to go about engaging the 21st century learner.  Remember, these are my thoughts and beliefs. I will do the research to see if I am correct, and in what areas.  Should be interesting.

I think for today, I will focus on student engagement...according to me.

Now, when I think of student engagement, it's easy...right?  You simply look at the student, their faces tell all.  I know whenever I am in a classroom, computer lab, and even thinking about previous experiences, you can just tell.  I know when I look at students or work with students if they are engaged, but is me saying, "I just know," enough?

I think back to the projects or lessons I did with my students.  I remember the worksheets, or me lecturing, or even having an "okay" discussion.  I remember, not all students were listening, not all students were participating, not all students were "engaged."  How did I know??  Well, some were looking around the room, some were playing in their desks, some were looking at the clock praying for the bell to go, even hoping for a fire alarm :) 

Now, I also remember the exciting projects I did with my students.  I remember when the recess bell rang, no one wanted to go out for recess!!  Can you believe it, students were asking to stay in at recess to continue working.   "Student engagement," the best.  If they were not engaged, they would not want to stay in....right?

I think of myself as a learner, I know when I am "engaged."  When I go to a conference, I am either engaged, or taking 10 "bathroom" breaks.  Now, don't get me wrong, I know not every single lesson, project, discussion, speaker, etc. can be 100% engaging and wonderful.  I do think we need to try our best to engage our students or audience because otherwise they may be walking away with only half of what is being said.

I also assumed in the past that any time technology was involved, students would be engaged for sure.  Now I know that you can't just put a student in front of a computer or smart board, or some other type of technology and expect engagement.  They need directions, guidance, explanation of why what they are doing is purposeful to their learning.  It, meaning what ever it is they are doing, has to be meaningful to them.  I ask myself now, what will or can they learn from this?  What will they understand at the end of this lesson? 

I know I am in front of a computer LOTS, and I am not always engaged.  When I say "engaged" or "engagement," I mean it in the terms of something meaningful.  There need to be a purpose, a learning experience.  I know I am "engaged" when I watch an episode of Real Housewives of Orange County, but I can't say it is "meaningful" to me as a learner :)

I obviously can go on forever, this is just a start.

I can't wait to start the research as I am sure my definition of "you can just tell," or "just look at their face," will not be in any research??  Or, maybe it will

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Lisa, two blog posts in as many days! Great to see you've already gotten a comment, and it is from one of our stellar alumnae of the program. Dierdre is fabulous, and a good friend and colleague who seems to have an endless array of great links to things.

    Speaking of links, it will be great if you can add links to material and people in your posts as you make discoveries about student engagement. This will provide an excellent service to your readers, and it will also be an excellent repository for your research somewhere down the road. You'll always have a place you can return to and locate the things you locate and discuss.

    You're in the blogosphere now, and you have so much to offer!

    ReplyDelete